Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

What's the difference between murder and homicide?

Is there any law / health and safety rule I can enforce in my office for noisy eaters?
We do not have a separate canteen area in our small office, so most people eat their lunch at their desks. I feel sick at listening to some of them, does anyone know if there's anything I can do ...

What do you think of the No Child Left Behind Act ?

I just shot a hooker, what should I do?
I was horny and I picked up a hooker and took her back to my house. She was looking around and came across my .45 and wanted to play with it. She didn't know how to hold it so I grabbed it and ...

Is putting flyers on car windscreens wrong/illegal?
Hi, could some one tell me if putting flyers on car windscreens illegal / wrong?

Does anyone else think that our nation has gone lawsuit crazy?
I think that most of the lawsuits that are being filed are crazy. Does anyone agree? I think that there are a few situations that it is warranted, but do you agree that our nation has gone lawsuit ...

Can I sue or press charges against a man who sexually violated me when i was 16?
I am 30 now and cant live with the memory and depression that indcident almost 15 years ago . I was assaulted sexually and molested by this older man. I livein california the incident happened in ...

If you support the death penalty?
would you support it if there was no suffering by the prisoner - like if they got an injection of morphine just before dying and died with a smile? or is suffering a big part of the death penalty? D...

Illegal posting of nude photos?
I broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks ago and recently he has become enraged, stalking me, calling me obsessively, and threatening me in various ways, chief among which is the threat to have him ...

What is a white lie?

Is it legal for a convicted felon to buy or own a shot gun in the state of ga.?

Do you think torture should be legal?
if not, should the commanders be held responsible? i was looking for copper aging to turn it green & stumbled across this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/ Details

Was it worth spending $40 million to prove Clinton had sex?
Do you think it was worth $40 million of your taxes for Ken Starr to prove Bill Clinton had inappropriate relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky?...

Do you think it's right for Texas Governor to want to ban smoking...?
I saw it on the news a few nights ago... He said that they would soon change smoking in restuarants and bars... My point is if Gay people can get married, and the KKK still have rallies in Austin, ...

Do you think we should bring back the birch for use on neds/hoodies who break the law all the time.?
It would be even better if the victim of the crime was given the chance to birch the person who commited the crime against them.. I would rally enjoy birching someone who had maybe mugged me and ...

How can i fight a speeding ticket in california?
i got pulled over for speeding down a hill and the cop wrote it up for being in a construction zone so it is double the fine. not one person was going 25 and he wrote that there were 5 speed limit ...

Uk argument?
Is the UK tough towards employment of people under 25?And do you think it is fair that people under the age of 25 are all classified as reckless and lazy and most of all unresponsible?We pay more car ...

Is my grandma being weird?
I wanted to go on a walk and take pictures with my camera and my grandma wouldn't let me. She told me that someone would call the cops on me. Is she being unreasonable? Is it against the law ...

What is the ethical dilemma of abortion?
state your belief and provide ...

Accidently, I knocked over a shelf with wine glasses at a department store. Can they sue me for damages?
I was talking with another shopper when I came against a shelf of wine glasses and it fell to the floor, most of the glasses broke of course.
5 shop assistents came running and I said I ...

Ashley R
As the victim in a domestic violence case, if I am subpoenaed to testify, do i have to?
I'm trying to get the case dismissed by the state. I didn't press charges the state did and i DO NOT want to testify. If i get a subpoena do i truly have to testify? or can i refuse?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Bill H
You can refuse if the other party is your husband, otherwise Yes, you'll be required to testify.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Bandit
No. You never are required to testify. You may be required to take the witness stand, but you have the right not to answer any questions. Even if they put you in jail, you never have to talk to them. Talking to cops and attorneys is how they make a case. No information, no case. I do not believe that they can absolutely guarantee that any testimony that you give would never be used against YOU. That is your right under the 5th amendment. Say nothing.

Sandra M
Rating
No you don't have to testify. Call the prosecuting attorney and tell them that you are not going to testify in their case. All it is going to do is cost a bunch of money for you and I assume your boyfriend. They will make him go to some class and that costs money too. It is all about money.

I don't agree that he should abuse you but I don't agree that the States are properly handling domestic violence cases either, it is doing nothing but costing the PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY MONEY.

Patrick R
Rating
In a criminal case, you must show-up to testify. You can not be required to testify against your husband, however.

mudbug
You must respond to a supoena to testify.

You really should testify even if there is no suboena. This is not aceptable behavior.

As the recognized victim you should not stress out on this. They know what happened. You just might have to say a simple yes or no at some point.

Nana64
Rating
I cannot fathom why a victim of domestic violence would protect their abuser/attacker. Yes, you have to show up and will be required to answer the questions that the judge deems appropriate or you could face contempt of court charges and be jailed yourself. People who defend their attackers, change their minds, etc after the police are involved sicken me to the core. This attitude is a contributing factor to others keeping silent in dangerous situations as well as endangering society as a whole. The anger that propels an abuser does not stop at the victims front door, it spills over into society at large.

We, as a society, have come a long way in recognizing domestic violence. There was a time, not so very long ago, when women were considered property and could be treated in any manner that their spouse chose. And, there are still societies in the world where women are routinely abused with no action taken against their abusers. Refusing to cooperate with the authorities is one way to spit in the face of the sufferings of other women - past and present.

Windy
Chances are you won't actually have to testify. They usually agree to a charge before it gets to that point. Most cases are settled within an hour of going to court. If you have to testify, why are you afraid of? The bull that goes with the whole situation? If the police were called and no doubt you were assaulted, why not press charges. What hold does this person have on you? Wouldn't you like to be able to do what you want without worrying about getting slapped or punched?

If you do go to court, the courtroom is only limited to people involved in the case. Don't be a victim.

Noone i
Rating
IF you are subpeonaed, you have no choice. To not testify is legally punishable and your testimony will be mandatory.

Unless, of course, its your husband, then you can claim husband/wife privilege.

Bill VonDoom
yes, if you get subpoenaed you must show up or be issued a warrant for your arrest...

visvardis
Rating
you will be held in contempt of court why would you protect the animal that has been beating you pelligrino palomba in phoenix beat his wife to death feb 2006 his wife never told anyone of the marital problems testify before you become part of a more violent statstic

horsewhisperer
Rating
Yes. If you do not show up for court that is contempt of court and a will result in your arrest. If you go and are dishonest on the stand that is perjury. You do however have the right to plead the fifth. My advise would be to contact the state about how you feel. Perhaps if they hear you as the main witness are not going to be supportive the case may be dropped.However, it is a shame that if you truly were a victim that you would not want to pursue justice but that is your choice.

alighier
Yes, if subpoenaed, you have to testify. Otherwise, your reward for protecting the dude that knocked you around could be getting arrested for contempt of court.

enchantedmandi
Rating
You have to show up if you are issued a subpeona, or you can be arrested.

Kris L
Rating
If you recieve a subpoena, you MUST go to court on the day and time specified, and you may be REQUIRED to testify, and that testimony MUST be the 'truth' ... if you lie, that is perjury and YOU can end up going to jail for far longer than your partner, if s/he is convicted. Domestic violence is a CRIME and the law is such that even if the person who was 'hurt' doesn't want to press charges, the city, county, or state can and often DOES ... and if you are 'seeing' or 'talking' to the defendant in this case ... with or without a restraining order ... YOU can go to jail, too, for violating the LAW. This is a protection of YOU since many people in a relationship where there is domestic violence 'change their minds' ... and that is the WRONG thing to do at least 80% of the time (up to 99.99%).

LoneStar
Rating
You must attend and answer any questions allowed by the Judge, unless you are willing to go to jail for contempt.

Lela A
if you refuse then you are allowing the abuse to continue of your own decision..abuse is wrong..think about what you are doing..it must have been very bad for the state to charge him in the first place..physical injuries..I am a DV survivor..9 years abuse free..

bottleblondemama
Rating
No, you can be compelled to tesify and if you fail to do so, it could be considered Contempt of Court and a bench warrant issued for your arrest.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, October 25, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy